Ambedkar memorial: Cong rejects Sena allegations
Mumbai: Maharashtra Congress Tuesday rejected
allegations that it had taken up the issue of sanctioning the
Indu Mill land for a memorial for Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar with
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh only to win Dalit votes ahead of
the forthcoming municipal elections in the city.
Giving an assurance for the memorial and getting the land
allocated in reality is a tribute paid to the Dalit icon,
Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee president Manikrao
Thakre said in a release issued here.
"It is wrong to say that it being done to win Dalit
votes. The Congress always had the willingness to construct
the memorial for Dr Ambedkar, even when RPI president Ramdas
Athawale was with the party," he said.
Athawale has forged an alliance with the Shiv Sena-BJP in
Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray had on Monday in his party
mouthpiece `Samana` said that the Congress-led government
has agreed to give the Indu Mill land in central Mumbai for
construction of Ambedkar`s memorial to win Dalit votes in the
Thakre said that the Shiv Sena had opposed the memorial
when Athawale was with Congress but was raising the issue only
because the RPI leader had entered into an alliance with them.
He also sought to know why no leader from Shiv Sena was
part of the delegation which met the Prime Minister on
December 31 over the issue.
"In a way Shiv Sena expressed its opposition (to the
memorial) as none of its leaders were part of the all-party
delegation led by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to meet the
Prime Minister on the issue," Thakre said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?