AMC polls: Minister stays in Aurangabad in violation EC orders
Aurangabad: The Minister of State for
Civil Supplies Abdus Sattar, who allegedly assaulted a youth
belonging to his party, did not leave the city even after the
State Election Commission`s order to do so.
He was seen freely roaming in various areas and asking
voters to vote for the party in the Aurangabad Municipal
Corporation (AMC) election held today. Shiv Sena had demanded
his expulsion from the Ministry.
On Friday last, the State Election Commission had
issued directives to the Aurangabad Municipal Corporation and
the police department that all the leaders who are in the city
for campaigning should leave the city to ensure free and fair
elections. Many bigwigs left the city after they were informed
about the directives of the Election Commission, but Abdus
Sattar was seen wooing voters and encouraging them today at
He had allegedly assaulted a worker party Mohammad
Mustaq aka Mustu in last month over allotment of party
candidature in the AMC polls, but no complaint was lodged and
Mustu detracted from his statement that Sattar had beaten him
and said that he himself fell down from the chair.
The additional secretary R N Pandey sent a copy of the
directive (S E C /MC/2009 4 -5 ) to the AMC administration and
the police had said that only leaders who are voters for the
AMC elections can stay in the city and rest from other places
should leave the city.
Sources said that Sattar also addressed a closed door
gathering in Ward number 40 Nawabpura yesterday night. He
appealed to voters to vote for Congress candidate Parveen
Zaheda Yusuf Rafiq Ahmed.
Notably, NCP candidate Parveen Kaiser Khan was
declared as the candidate from this ward and she campaigned as
the NCP candidate but dramatically, it was declared yesterday
night, a day after the campaign ended, on the eve of
elections, that NCP had not given official candidature to
anybody from the Nawabpura ward and that Parveen Zaheda Yusuf
Rafiq Ahmed is Congress candidate from the ward.
After this, Sattar held a meeting for campaigning on
yesterday night at the house of one Jilani. Today he was seen
moving freely in various wards and encouraging voters to vote
for Congress-NCP-SPA front. When PTI tried to meet the
officers of the election department for getting information
about the mode of action, some were tight lipped and some were
out of reach and busy in election work.
Senior Shiv Sena leader and MP
Chandrakant Khaire said, "We are demanding to take strict
action against Sattar as he himself being a minister, is
engaged in business of assaulting people publicly. Now that he
had violated the directives of the Election Commission, he
should be sacked. The Commissioner of Police has not initiated
any action against him. The State government should act
immediately if they think that the violation of Election
Commission is a serious matter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'