Amravati cash seizure: Prez`s son questioned
Amravati (Mah): President Pratibha Patil`s
son and Congress MLA Raosaheb Shekhawat was today questioned
by the Amravati Police in connection with the seizure of Rs
one crore unaccounted cash here ahead of the civic polls.
Accompanied by MPCC General Secretary, Ganesh Patil and a
battery of lawyers, Shekhawat reached the Police
Commissioner`s office here this morning, where his statement
was recorded in the case.
Amravati Police Commissioner Amitesh Kumar told reporters,
"We have questioned the source and destination of the funds
seized, to which Shekhawat has reiterated that it was party
He said that investigations are in a critical stage and
"we are probing all angles."
Shekhawat said that as per the requirement, he has
furnished details of transactions of Rs one crore sent by the
MPCC, with all relevant documents and break-up of
disbursements to the police.
The MLA told the police that Rs 87 lakh was meant to be
disbursed to as many number of Congress candidates and the
rest was to be spend by the Amravati city party unit.
Cash worth Rs one crore, which was being transported into
the city from Nagpur in a car and meant to be used during the
civic polls, was seized in the early hours of February 12 and
two persons were arrested in the case.
Following the seizure, the Election Commission had
directed the district collector and municipal commissioner to
file a report about the incident. The Collector had also
issued a notice to Shekhawat and others in the case.
However, denying allegations that the seized cash was
unaccounted, Shekhawat had claimed that the money was meant
for distribution among financially weak candidates for the
local municipal elections, held on February 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside