Anganwadi workers court arrest demanding revised payscale
Amravati: Demanding implementation of the revised payscale and other benefits assured by the central government, thousands of anganwadi workers courted arrest here, sources said.
The angwanwadi workers, who came together under the banner of Maharashtra Anganwadi Workers` Organisation, staged protests here yesterday before courting arrests.
Over 4,000 anganwadi workers gathered at the District Collectorate demanding immediate consideration to increase salary and benefit that government promised three months back.
They demanded increment up to Rs 10,000 for permanent workers and Rs 7,500 for temporary staff; status for government workers; post retirement benefits; increased dearness allowance.
The workers, who had been on strike from January 6.
"Our demands are justified and it is our right to ask for incentives we deserve. We aren`t begging, but coping with the current income is getting harder every day with inflation disrupting our budgets," said Pratibha Shinde, district Secretary of Anganwadi Workers Organisation.
According to sources, some other party workers approached Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) workers to seek help from party leader Arvind Kejriwal on the issue.
Anganwadis are courtyard shelter, operated by the government under the Integrated Child Development Services program to combat child hunger and malnutrition, among other things.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown