Anganwadi workers court arrest demanding revised payscale
Amravati: Demanding implementation of the revised payscale and other benefits assured by the central government, thousands of anganwadi workers courted arrest here, sources said.
The angwanwadi workers, who came together under the banner of Maharashtra Anganwadi Workers` Organisation, staged protests here yesterday before courting arrests.
Over 4,000 anganwadi workers gathered at the District Collectorate demanding immediate consideration to increase salary and benefit that government promised three months back.
They demanded increment up to Rs 10,000 for permanent workers and Rs 7,500 for temporary staff; status for government workers; post retirement benefits; increased dearness allowance.
The workers, who had been on strike from January 6.
"Our demands are justified and it is our right to ask for incentives we deserve. We aren`t begging, but coping with the current income is getting harder every day with inflation disrupting our budgets," said Pratibha Shinde, district Secretary of Anganwadi Workers Organisation.
According to sources, some other party workers approached Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) workers to seek help from party leader Arvind Kejriwal on the issue.
Anganwadis are courtyard shelter, operated by the government under the Integrated Child Development Services program to combat child hunger and malnutrition, among other things.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends