Anna backs idea of theme park at Mumbai racecourse
Mumbai: Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday backed the idea of setting up a theme park at the Mahalaxmi racecourse, whose lease has expired, and said the present set- up at the sprawling land benefits only the wealthy people.
"The racecourse does not benefit the poor. Those who are wealthy are looting the country. A garden should be set up at the race course land as it will help in balancing the environment," he told reporters on sidelines of an event in Mumbai.
A debate is raging in the city as to whether the expired lease of the Royal Western India Turf Club, which runs the racecourse, should be renewed by the state government or a garden should be set up on the prime land.
Shiv Sena, which rules the Mumbai civic body, is adamant on its demand to establish a theme park at the sprawling land in Central Mumbai.
On Wednesday, during the foundation day celebrations of Shiv Sena, its president Uddhav Thackeray said a garden will benefit Mumbaikars.
"It belongs to citizens of Mumbai, and a garden, if developed there, would benefit the city," he had said.
Hazare said the government should enact a law to acquire huge tracts of land lying vacant in the financial capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!