Anna backs idea of theme park at Mumbai racecourse
Mumbai: Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday backed the idea of setting up a theme park at the Mahalaxmi racecourse, whose lease has expired, and said the present set- up at the sprawling land benefits only the wealthy people.
"The racecourse does not benefit the poor. Those who are wealthy are looting the country. A garden should be set up at the race course land as it will help in balancing the environment," he told reporters on sidelines of an event in Mumbai.
A debate is raging in the city as to whether the expired lease of the Royal Western India Turf Club, which runs the racecourse, should be renewed by the state government or a garden should be set up on the prime land.
Shiv Sena, which rules the Mumbai civic body, is adamant on its demand to establish a theme park at the sprawling land in Central Mumbai.
On Wednesday, during the foundation day celebrations of Shiv Sena, its president Uddhav Thackeray said a garden will benefit Mumbaikars.
"It belongs to citizens of Mumbai, and a garden, if developed there, would benefit the city," he had said.
Hazare said the government should enact a law to acquire huge tracts of land lying vacant in the financial capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan