Anna backs idea of theme park at Mumbai racecourse
Mumbai: Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday backed the idea of setting up a theme park at the Mahalaxmi racecourse, whose lease has expired, and said the present set- up at the sprawling land benefits only the wealthy people.
"The racecourse does not benefit the poor. Those who are wealthy are looting the country. A garden should be set up at the race course land as it will help in balancing the environment," he told reporters on sidelines of an event in Mumbai.
A debate is raging in the city as to whether the expired lease of the Royal Western India Turf Club, which runs the racecourse, should be renewed by the state government or a garden should be set up on the prime land.
Shiv Sena, which rules the Mumbai civic body, is adamant on its demand to establish a theme park at the sprawling land in Central Mumbai.
On Wednesday, during the foundation day celebrations of Shiv Sena, its president Uddhav Thackeray said a garden will benefit Mumbaikars.
"It belongs to citizens of Mumbai, and a garden, if developed there, would benefit the city," he had said.
Hazare said the government should enact a law to acquire huge tracts of land lying vacant in the financial capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25