Anna backs idea of theme park at Mumbai racecourse
Mumbai: Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday backed the idea of setting up a theme park at the Mahalaxmi racecourse, whose lease has expired, and said the present set- up at the sprawling land benefits only the wealthy people.
"The racecourse does not benefit the poor. Those who are wealthy are looting the country. A garden should be set up at the race course land as it will help in balancing the environment," he told reporters on sidelines of an event in Mumbai.
A debate is raging in the city as to whether the expired lease of the Royal Western India Turf Club, which runs the racecourse, should be renewed by the state government or a garden should be set up on the prime land.
Shiv Sena, which rules the Mumbai civic body, is adamant on its demand to establish a theme park at the sprawling land in Central Mumbai.
On Wednesday, during the foundation day celebrations of Shiv Sena, its president Uddhav Thackeray said a garden will benefit Mumbaikars.
"It belongs to citizens of Mumbai, and a garden, if developed there, would benefit the city," he had said.
Hazare said the government should enact a law to acquire huge tracts of land lying vacant in the financial capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage