Anna Hazare bats for Pimpri-Chinchwad civic chief
Mumbai: Social activist Anna Hazare on Friday came out in support of Pimpri-Chinchwad municipal commissioner, who is reportedly being transferred, saying if the government acts against the bureaucrat he would lead a people`s agitation on the issue.
Hazare today wrote a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and warned of joining the people`s movement to stop the transfer of the bureaucrat Shrikar Pardeshi.
Citizens` groups claim that various vested interests are trying to get him transferred, as he had taken stringent action against unauthorised constructions.
"Shrikar Pardeshi is known to be an efficient and sincere officer. Citizen`s groups from Pimpri-Chinchwad and Pune have met me on the issue. There is anger and unrest among people on the reports of Pardeshi`s transfer," Hazare said in a letter to Chavan.
Claiming that there was not a single complaint against Pardeshi, Hazare said he was yet to complete his term as the civic chief.
"Some politicians, for their own vested interests and financial gains, are trying to transfer him. Pardeshi is being transferred because he has a clean image and is transparent in his work," he said.
Hazare said some people are in danger as Pardeshi is acting against corrupt practices.
"I expect that government to perform its duties by following law and should not act upon the high-handedness of some people...It is the government`s duty to raise the morale of good officers, or else these officers may give up from the administrative service and may work somewhere else. Good officers are the asset of the society," Hazare said.
"The government should not transfer Pardeshi by succumbing to political pressure. If the transfer is done, there will be an outburst of anger among people and they may take on to the streets," he said.
Hazare said that if need be he would lead an agitation to give justice to the people on this issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state