Anna Hazare`s nephew joins Congress
Mumbai: A nephew of noted social activist
Anna Hazare on Saturday returned to the Congress fold amidst
allegations that the party was behind the smear campaign
against the civil society members of the joint Lokpal Bill
Vinayak Deshmukh, son of Hazare`s sister, and a native
of Ahmednagar district, was associated with Youth Congress.
He left the youth wing to join the NCP and after
working in the Sharad Pawar-led party for a couple of years,
he is now back in the Congress.
"I was disappointed with NCP`s style of functioning
and therefore decided to come back. It has nothing to do with
the anti-corruption campaign led by Hazare," Deshmukh said.
Deshmukh had supported the campaign as an "individual"
and was with Hazare in Delhi for some time during his fast
early this month. However, he insisted that his re-induction
into the party was decided much earlier.
"I wanted to come back and was in touch with the
Congress party leaders for over three months. There is noting
political behind my move," he said.
Maharashtra Congress President Manikrao Thakre, who
was present during Deshmukh`s re-entry into the party, said,
"He had been a Youth Congress leader for a long time. He had
gone to NCP, but is now back into the party."
He denied any political motive behind Deshmukh`s
decision. "Our party leader Soniaji has made her stand clear
about the campaign. The party is against corruption," he said.
Hazare had written a letter to Congress chief Sonia
Gandhi, asking her to rein-in her party leaders attacking
civil society members of the Lokpal Bill panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India