Anna Hazare`s nephew joins Congress
Mumbai: A nephew of noted social activist
Anna Hazare on Saturday returned to the Congress fold amidst
allegations that the party was behind the smear campaign
against the civil society members of the joint Lokpal Bill
Vinayak Deshmukh, son of Hazare`s sister, and a native
of Ahmednagar district, was associated with Youth Congress.
He left the youth wing to join the NCP and after
working in the Sharad Pawar-led party for a couple of years,
he is now back in the Congress.
"I was disappointed with NCP`s style of functioning
and therefore decided to come back. It has nothing to do with
the anti-corruption campaign led by Hazare," Deshmukh said.
Deshmukh had supported the campaign as an "individual"
and was with Hazare in Delhi for some time during his fast
early this month. However, he insisted that his re-induction
into the party was decided much earlier.
"I wanted to come back and was in touch with the
Congress party leaders for over three months. There is noting
political behind my move," he said.
Maharashtra Congress President Manikrao Thakre, who
was present during Deshmukh`s re-entry into the party, said,
"He had been a Youth Congress leader for a long time. He had
gone to NCP, but is now back into the party."
He denied any political motive behind Deshmukh`s
decision. "Our party leader Soniaji has made her stand clear
about the campaign. The party is against corruption," he said.
Hazare had written a letter to Congress chief Sonia
Gandhi, asking her to rein-in her party leaders attacking
civil society members of the Lokpal Bill panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi