Anna to lay foundation of school on 74th b`day
Ahmednagar: Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare on Sunday said he will celebrate his 74th birthday on June 15 in Ahmednagar by laying the foundation stone of an English medium school for underprivileged children here.
Though he does not prefer any elaborate birthday celebrations, he accepted the invitation of an NGO, as it is for a social cause, Anna told a news agency at Ralegan Siddhi, about 35 kms from here, on Sunday.
Anna has been celebrating his birthday for last five years with inmates of Ahmednagar-based NGO Snehalaya, which runs a rehabilitation centre for HIV positive patients. It also runs rehabilitation projects for prostitutes and their children, orphans and other underprivileged children.
To be built on the premises of NGO Snehalaya, the English medium school would provide free education to underprivileged children and those with special needs, NGO`s trustee Milind Kulkarni said.
On the occasion, Anna will also hand over keys of houses to ten women, who have left flesh trade and want to start life afresh. The NGO aims to provide houses to 100 rehabilitated women in the next two years, he said.
The NGO will organise the `Amrut mahotasav` ceremony on June 15 in the honour of the social activist, he said.
Meanwhile, several NGOs here have decided to jointly distribute one lakh books about Anna`s life and his message to youths, on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?