Anonymous caller says IM behind J Dey killing
Mumbai: A week after the murder of the senior crime reporter Jyotirmoy Dey, the police control room here on Saturday received an anonymous phone call from Yemen with the caller saying Indian Mujahideen (IM) was behind the killing.
"A person called from Yemen and said that the IM hired shooters from Kashmir and bumped Dey off," a senior Crime Branch official said.
However, the police are verifying the call as IM does not have a presence in Kashmir, the official said.
The police control room received the call at around 5.30 pm. "We are taking all the information seriously given by anybody," added the official.
The official also said that now they have nine CCTV images with them, using which they have reconstructed the event.
The police official also said they have received the telephone record of the period between 1.31 pm, when Dey left from his mother`s place, and 2.45 pm, when he was shot dead.
"This is a crucial time because now we will know who all had called Dey and with whom all he spoke to," said the official.
He said if police get the minute details of those 75 minutes, they will be able to make a "major breakthrough" in the case. The Crime Branch official also said they have questioned 150 people till now in connection with the murder of Dey.
The police official said Mateen Iqbal Hatela, one of the persons who was detained, had misled the police by confessing to the crime. But he could not give details like the spot where Dey was shot and whether Dey was walking or was on a bike.
"Mateen had said that out of the Rs 70,000 that he had received, he gave Rs 40,000 to another person called Raja Salvi, who Mateen claimed was with him during the (murder) execution. But why would Mateen pay Salvi when Salvi had received an equal amount?" the official said.
Dey (56), Editor (Special Investigation) with Mid-Day, who extensively covered underworld and crime for over two decades, was shot dead by four assailants in suburban Powai last Saturday. Crime Branch source said the caller from Yemen said the shooters were from Hyderabad, Bihar and Srinagar and were paid Rs 4 lakh to kill Dey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win