Another Cong MP writes to Chavan on power tariff issue
Mumbai: After Congress MPs Sanjay Nirupam and Priya Dutt, another party MP from Mumbai, Gurudas Kamat has approached Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, seeking relief for power consumers.
Kamat has written a letter to Chavan and Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (MERC) asking them to leave it to the consumers to decide their power providers.
The MP from Mumbai North-West constituency, has demanded that consumers be provided "Open Access", whereby they have the choice of selecting electricity provider.
To address the anxiety and concern of the citizens of Mumbai over regular hikes in electricity rates by private electricity providers, the Electricity Act of 2003 permits the "open access" thereby giving a choice to the consumer to select any provider offering better services or rates, he said.
"This choice should be made available to all Mumbai citizens," Kamat said.
He said Tata Electric Company`s rates are nearly Rs 2 per unit less than the other company in the market, for consumption up to 300 units.
Consumers whose electricity consumption is upto 300 units may be allowed to switch to Tata Electric Company.
The Tata company may be directed to provide the services to the people of Mumbai wanting a change, Kamat said.
Around 20 lakh households could benefit by this shift, he said. Benefits of other subsidies and withdrawal of taxes may also be considered by the state government, or MERC, he added.
Nirupam was on a hunger strike last month in front of the Reliance Energy Divisional Office in suburban Kandivli to demand a reduction in the power tariff in Mumbai, which he called off after an assurance from Chavan.
Earlier last month, he and Priya Dutt addressed a morcha at the venue over the demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark