Another fire in Mumbai, 80 shanties gutted
Mumbai: Over 70 shanties were gutted in a fire in suburban Malad on Saturday afternoon, the second such incident in the metropolis in as many days.
"About 70-80 shanties were gutted after a fire broke out in Kharigaon slum area in Malad (west) at around 4 pm," according to disaster management officials.
No casualties were reported.
Four water tankers and three fire engines were pressed into service to douse the inferno which was brought under control at around 6.30 pm, they said.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known, the officials added.
Over 2,000 people were rendered homeless after a major fire broke out in a slum locality in suburban Bandra on Friday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed