Anti-Assam riot protest turns violent in Mumbai; 2 killed
Mumbai: At least two people were killed and 55 others were injured, including 45 policemen, on Saturday as a protest at Mumbai`s Azad Maidan against the Assam riots and alleged attacks on Muslims in Myanmar turned violent.
Among the injured were some mediapersons. All injured were shifted to J J Hospital, St George Hospital, GT Hospital and Bombay Hospital, police said.
Hundreds of protesters, sporting black badges, belonging to several Muslim organisations were gathered at the Azad Maidan Ground in south Mumbai on a call given by a city-based outfit, Raza Academy, an organisation which claims to work for promoting Islamic culture.
The agitation was supported by other organisations like Sunni Jamaitul Ulma and Jamate Raza-e-Mustafa. Awami Vikas Party (AVP), a political outfit floated by former police officer Shamsher Khan Pathan, also took part in the protest.
During the demonstrations, the protesters turned unruly, police said. They indulged in stone-pelting, set fire to several vehicles, including OB (Outside Broadcast) vans of three private news channels, reports said.
Police had to resort to lathi-charge and opened fire in the air to disperse the violent crowd.
The situation is currently under control, said IG Law and Order, Mumbai.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said in a statement that the Crime Branch has been asked to probe "whose hand was behind the violence and how the protest turned so violent".
Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil while talking to Zee News appealed people to maintain peace.
Several suburban train services were briefly disrupted and road traffic was also affected due to the unrest.
Azad Maidan Ground, a regular venue for protests, is located near Mumbai civic body headquarters and CST Mumbai railway station. The bustling area wore a deserted look as policemen cordoned off the locality and patrolled the streets.
Meanwhile, Raza Academy distanced itself from the violence.
"While we were protesting at the ground, some people got aggressive and started behaving violently," Mohammed Saeed, general secretary of Raza Academy said.
"We never encourage violence and strongly condemn such acts," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah