Beed: The Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) is probing into a radio explosion in Koregaon village of Kaij tehsil of Beed district on Friday afternoon.
Four members of a family, including a minor boy, were seriously injured when the radio set exploded at their residence in Koregaon village.
Bus conductor AR Nimbalkar (35), his wife Usha (30), mother Kusum (53) and two-year-son old Kunal were seriously injured in the incident, police said.
Nimbalkar, who was on duty in Mumbai-Ambejogai bus on Friday, noticed a radio set abandoned in the bus when all the passengers got down. He took the radio home and while trying to replace its battery pack it exploded, police added.
According to them, the sound of the explosion could be heard as far as three kilometres away from the spot.
A team of the Maharashtra ATS is at the spot, reported NDTV.
The injured have been admitted to Swami Ramanand Teerth (SRT) hospital in the town, police said.
Dr Rakesh Jadhav, who is attending the injured at the hospital, said that eyes of the injured were severely damaged in the incident and they were operated upon immediately.
Maharashtra Home minister RR Patil has issued instructions to remain alert, senior police officers said.
The radio and the batteries have been seized for further investigation, they said.
(With PTI inputs)
First Published: Saturday, December 01, 2012, 10:35