`Anti-UPA` Mumbai eatery opens to huge crowd
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: A day after a restaurant was forced to shut down for a trenchant message printed on its bill slamming UPA government for imposing service tax on AC restaurants, the Parel eatery reopened on Tuesday morning.
A lot of people visited Aditi restaurant hoping they would get a bill with the anti-UPA message on it. However, the message was dropped from the bill. Now it only said, “Have a nice day".
The ‘defamatory message’ on its bills had enraged members of the Indian Youth Congress, who allegedly forced closure of the eatery here.
The Congress workers` action had prompted Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to dub it as "height of intolerance".
The message on bill read: “As per UPA govt eating money (2G, coal, CWG scam) is a necessity and eating food in AC restaurants is a luxury.” Since then, the restaurant has been the talk of the town.
Police registered a non-cognizable offence at Bhoiwada Police Station under Section 501 (printing or engraving matter known to be defamatory) of the IPC against S Shetty, the owner of the restaurant.
A police contingent has been deployed at the eatery to maintain peace.
The Centre has imposed service tax on taxable service provided in restaurants with air-conditioning or central air heating with effect from April 01, 2013.
Earlier, service tax was not levied on airconditioned restaurants that did not serve liquor.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today