`Anti-UPA` Mumbai eatery opens to huge crowd
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: A day after a restaurant was forced to shut down for a trenchant message printed on its bill slamming UPA government for imposing service tax on AC restaurants, the Parel eatery reopened on Tuesday morning.
A lot of people visited Aditi restaurant hoping they would get a bill with the anti-UPA message on it. However, the message was dropped from the bill. Now it only said, “Have a nice day".
The ‘defamatory message’ on its bills had enraged members of the Indian Youth Congress, who allegedly forced closure of the eatery here.
The Congress workers` action had prompted Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to dub it as "height of intolerance".
The message on bill read: “As per UPA govt eating money (2G, coal, CWG scam) is a necessity and eating food in AC restaurants is a luxury.” Since then, the restaurant has been the talk of the town.
Police registered a non-cognizable offence at Bhoiwada Police Station under Section 501 (printing or engraving matter known to be defamatory) of the IPC against S Shetty, the owner of the restaurant.
A police contingent has been deployed at the eatery to maintain peace.
The Centre has imposed service tax on taxable service provided in restaurants with air-conditioning or central air heating with effect from April 01, 2013.
Earlier, service tax was not levied on airconditioned restaurants that did not serve liquor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM