Armed duo arrested near Mumbai`s Taj Hotel
Mumbai: Only a day after Mumbai Police announced plans to beef up security near the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower hotel in the elite Colaba area of south Mumbai, two armed men were arrested from Kalaghoda, only a kilometre away from the hotel, a police official said on Thursday.
"We were tipped-off about these two men loitering in the area with an intention of robbery. We immediately formed teams and apprehended them at the spot," an official from Colaba Police Station said.
"On frisking the duo, later identified as Iqbal Shaikh (40) and Mohammad Shaikh (23), we seized a country-made revolver, two live rounds and a knife from them," he added.
The two, currently in police custody, will be produced before the magistrate`s court at the earliest opportunity and remand will be sought, the official said.
"Our line of investigation will be to track if they had committed any offences in the past and what shop or establishment they had planned to strike," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH