Armed duo arrested near Mumbai`s Taj Hotel
Mumbai: Only a day after Mumbai Police announced plans to beef up security near the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower hotel in the elite Colaba area of south Mumbai, two armed men were arrested from Kalaghoda, only a kilometre away from the hotel, a police official said on Thursday.
"We were tipped-off about these two men loitering in the area with an intention of robbery. We immediately formed teams and apprehended them at the spot," an official from Colaba Police Station said.
"On frisking the duo, later identified as Iqbal Shaikh (40) and Mohammad Shaikh (23), we seized a country-made revolver, two live rounds and a knife from them," he added.
The two, currently in police custody, will be produced before the magistrate`s court at the earliest opportunity and remand will be sought, the official said.
"Our line of investigation will be to track if they had committed any offences in the past and what shop or establishment they had planned to strike," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka