Armed forces participation to add colour to R-Day parade
Mumbai: Army vehicles with Bofors gun, Naval band and display of Pechora missile by the Air Force will be the highlights of this year`s Republic Day parade at Marine Drive here, Minister for Protocol Suresh Shetty said on Tuesday.
The Maharashtra government is holding the parade at Marine Drive for the first time instead of traditional venue of Shivaji Park.
Unlike previous years, the parade will not have the speech by the Governor. "He will hoist the flag, following which the parade will begin. He will address people through TV on Republic Day eve," the minister said.
There is likely to be a fly past by IAF aircraft but owing to certain technicalities the final decision is awaited, he said.
There will be coast guard and CISF marching contingents as part of the parade, the minister said.
Deaf and dumb school children from Sangli will also be part of the parade, he added.
Owing to the large crowd expected to throng the venue, police have made elaborate traffic management in parts of south Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS