Army brigadier Kainthla, 4 others get bail
Mumbai: A special CBI court today granted bail to five persons, including serving Army Brigadier Anuj Kainthla, in connection with the Canteen Stores Department (CSD) scam.
Besides Kainthla, the joint general manager from CSD, Bikas Ranjan Daschaudhary, another joint general manager who holds a rank equivalent to Brigadier, Milind Govilkar of Sankalp Consumer Products Private Limited (SCPPL) and his two employees, Vikas Harer and Manohar Vibhute, were granted the relief.
According to CBI, the SCPPL allegedly entered into a criminal conspiracy with some CSD officials and manipulated demands for the merchandise in favour of Sankalp`s clients.
While Kainthla took decisions in favour of SCPPL, the CSD officials favoured the firm at various stages, such as introduction of items, price revision, delayed and excess supply.
According to CBI, Kainthla had accepted a bribe of Rs 7.5 lakh from SCPPL and allegedly used it to purchase a house at Panchkula in Punjab.
The accused moved Special CBI Court seeking bail on ground that they were being wronly implicated in the case.
However, the CBI challenged the bail saying that the accused could influence the CSD witnesses.
The agency told the court that the results of the voice samples of accused are yet to arrive while contending that the telephonic conversations between Kainthala and Govilkar could prove a clinching evidence against the accused.
However, the court granted bail to the accused saying custodial interrogation is not necessary at this stage.
CBI said on July 3 that it arrested Kainthla for accepting illegal gratification from SCPPL, while the other four accused had been apprehended two days back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Cricketer Dwayne Bravo to sing peppy number in Bollywood for 'Tum Bin 2'
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat