Army orders inquiry into Pune clash
New Delhi: The Army has ordered a Court of
Inquiry to probe an incident in Pune where the local police
alleged its constables were assaulted by a group of soldiers
after caught driving into a no-entry area.
"College of Military Engineering (CME) has ordered a
Court of Inquiry (CoI) headed by a Colonel. After
investigation appropriate action will be taken," Army
officials said here on Wednesday.
The incident took place after two young officers
entered a bridge, which was not meant for two wheelers. They
were stopped at the other end of the bridge by a constable and
told to pay a fine, they said.
"As the officers were paying the fine, another constable
reached the spot and mentioned that he was harassed in the
Army area for not wearing a helmet and now he will sort them
(two young officers) out, leading to a confrontation between
them," officials claimed.
The two officers were then taken to the police station.
However, according to the local police, the trouble
started when an Army person attached to the CME, riding a
motorbike, was stopped by a traffic constable at Sambhaji
Bridge for running into a no-entry area.
They then returned with his friends and allegedly
assaulted the policemen at the nearby outpost, police said,
adding they also broke the cameras of media persons who had
rushed to the spot.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Sanjay Jadhav said the CME
jawans had allegedly abused and assaulted police constables
and action was being taken against the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands