New Delhi: The newly-appointed chairman of the
National Minorities Commission Wajahat Habibullah said on Tuesday
that the arrest of some Muslim youths in connection with the
Malegaon blast does not appear to be proper.
"I feel the arrest of some Muslim youth in the Malegaon
blast case is not proper. It appears that there is no evidence
against them. It is my personal opinion that if there is no
evidence against anyone, it was improper to keep him under
detention", according to Habibullah.
When asked about the demands for release of the detained
youths following the reported confession of right-wing Hindu
activist Swami Aseemanand in the Malegaon blast case, the
former Chief Information Commissioner said some people have
requested him to take initiative in this matter.
"So far, I have not taken any step but I will think over
it and could take a step later," he said.
To a question on reservation for Muslims, he said, "It is
difficult to say that the uplift of Muslims was possible only
through reservation. Reservation could be one remedy but
government will have to give other types of concessions. I
don`t think that only through reservation solutions could be
found to all problems."
He said he will hold talks with various state governments
to set up State Minorities Commissions.