Arrested dy collector may have underworld links: Mumbai Police
Mumbai: The Crime Branch of the Mumbai
police on Friday said they were investigating whether the deputy
collector of MHADA Nitesh Thakur, arrested for threatening a
builder, has any underworld links.
Thakur and his brother Nilesh were arrested on on Tuesday
for allegedly threatening a builder Mukesh Wagela.
"We suspect (they have) underworld links but we are still
examining it", said Deven Bharti, Additional Commissioner of
While a senior police officer said that it is a unique
case where links have been established between a senior
government officer (Nitesh Thakur) and the underworld.
The police sources also said that investigations have
revealed that Thakurs owned an office in Dubai.
"We suspect that the accused have underworld links but we
are also investigating if they have connection with wanted
criminals who are based outside India", said the police.
According to the police, Nilesh owed Wagela Rs 14.5
crore but instead of repaying the builder, he used gangsters
to extort more cash. The police also said that Wagela got
threatening calls from Dubai wherein the caller allegedly
threatened him to settle the dispute with Thakur or else face
Earlier the police had said that they suspect that
Thakurs had amassed wealth worth Rs 500 crore.
A local court on Friday extended their police custody till
February 18. Nitesh Thakur was officer on special duty at J J
Hospital before joining Mhada (Maharashtra Housing Area
Development Authority) in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers