As Chavan decides to skip PM`s event; BJP asks how will Congress ignore "Modi mantra"
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In what can be termed as a pre-emptive face-saving exercise, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has decided to avoid sharing the dais with Prime Minister Narendra Modi at functions scheduled in Nagpur on Thursday, to avoid the embarrassment faced by fellow Congress CM of Haryana.
Confirming his decision of skipping the event, Chavan tweeted:
I will not be sharing the dais with the Hon'ble PM at today's Metro Rail bhoomipujan (1/2)
— Prithviraj Chavan (@prithvrj) August 21, 2014
I have already thanked the Central Govt for sanctioning the #NagpurMetro giving Viability Gap Funding (2/2)
— Prithviraj Chavan (@prithvrj) August 21, 2014
Not just Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Chavan himself had been by heckled by Bharatiya Janata Party activists at a function attended by Modi in Raigad.
But the decision to skip sharing dais with Modi was made by the senior Congress leaders after Hooda was booed by BJP workers at a stone-laying ceremony at Kaithal on Tuesday.
“I`ve decided not to attend the Nagpur event. Congress and NCP have decided jointly that we will not attend the PM`s functions,” Chavan was quoted as saying.
Earlier, Maharashtra officials had said that in view of the "insulting behavior" of BJP activists at an official function, Chavan was likely to skip Thursday`s official events in the state`s second capital Nagpur.
Meanwhile, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi took a dig at the Congress saying that how would the grand old party ignore the `Modi mantra of good governance`.
Here`s what Naqvi tweeted:
Congress can ignore "Modi manch"(dais)'but how will it ignore "MODI mantra "of good governance and development .
— Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi (@naqvimukhtar) August 21, 2014
Reacting to Chavan`s decision of refusing to share dais with Modi, another BJP leader Vinod Tawde said that when the Maharashtra CM went to Vidarbha he was booed by farmers and they were not BJP workers. He asked the Congress to introspect.
Modi is scheduled to dedicate the Mouda Super Thermal Power Project Phase I and later lay the foundation stone of the proposed Nagpur Metro, the Pardi Grid Metro and a flyover on National Highway 6, all in Nagpur.
Expressing concern over what it termed as "undignified development", the Maharashtra Congress said it proved the BJP had no respect for the opposition.
"It is leading to suspicions that the prime minister is adopting a dictatorial attitude. Never before in this country has a chief minister been openly heckled in an official government function," said state Congress spokesperson Sachin Sawant.
Sawant said it was shocking that Modi maintained a silence as BJP activists created a ruckus against the chief minister.
At Thursday`s functions, Modi will be accompanied by Governor K Sankaranarayanan and central ministers Nitin Gadkari and Piyush Goyal.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared