As Maria becomes Mumbai police chief, 2 IPS officers go on leave
Mumbai: Two senior IPS officers, who were in the race for the coveted post of Mumbai Police Commissioner but were left disappointed as their junior Rakesh Maria was chosen for the job, have gone on leave claiming that injustice has been done to them.
According to police sources, the two officers--Javed Ahmed and Vijay Kamle--, who were eyeing the top post for quite some time, expressed their disappointment to the state government, saying that injustice had been meted out to them by not considering them for it.
To lodge their protest, the two have gone on leave.
Ahmed, a 1979 batch IPS officer and former Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order), has been promoted as Director General (Home Guards).
Kamble, a 1980 batch officer and former Additional Director General of Police (Highways), has now been transferred as the Thane Police Commissioner.
Rakesh Maria, a 1981 batch officer and former Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad chief, was appointed as Mumbai Police Commissioner on Saturday, after the post remained vacant for 15 days.
Maria is also an Additional Director General rank officer.
Ahmed was of the view that he would be selected for the post as he was the senior-most in comparison to Kamble and Maria. However, Ahmed was promoted as Director General (Home Guards) by the government, but he was not satisfied, sources said.
"Whereas Kamble was sure that he would grab the Mumbai Police Commissioner`s post as Ahmed Javed was due for promotion as a Director General rank officer. When Ahmed was promoted, Kamble thought his route is now clear as he is senior to Rakesh Maria, although he and Maria are of same rank," said a police officer.
As per rules, the post of Mumbai Commissioner of Police can be occupied by an Additional Director General rank police officer.
After Maria`s appointment as Mumbai police chief, the two applied for leave from today.
Both the officers were unavailable for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Superstar Mohanlal wants CM Vijayan to tackle Kerala's 'biggest terror', here is what he said
- Brexit fears: Asia markets collapse as Britain looks set to leave EU
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Alia Bhatt new BFFs in B-Town? Here's why
- UK markets plunge, sterling eyes biggest ever fall, as EU vote in balance
- India focusing on market dislocations from Brexit: Jayant Sinha