Asaram`s pre-Holi celebrations draw flak in Maharashtra Legislature
Mumbai: Spiritual leader Asaram Bapu was on Monday criticised by the opposition in Maharashtra Legislature for allegedly wasting water in pre-Holi celebrations, even as the state is facing worst-ever drought in over four decades.
Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt raised the issue of the spiritual leader and his followers "wasting" water, at the event in Nagpur yesterday and said the water tankers for the event were supplied by the Nagpur Municipal Corporation.
"Asaram Bapu wasted lakhs of litres of water while celebrating Holi at the Kasturchand Park in Nagpur yesterday. This happened at a time when the entire Maharashtra is reeling under a severe drought," Dutt said, raising the issue through a point of propriety.
He sought action against those involved in the misuse of water.
Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat said necessary instructions have been issued to concerned officials to avoid recurrence of the incident.
While so much water was being wasted, Asaram Bapu`s bhakts (devotees) were also celebrating the occasion, which is a matter of sadness, Dutt said.
The issue was also raised in the Assembly by MNS group leader Bala Nandgaonkar, who condemned the wastage of water when there is a severe drought the in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites