Ashok Chavan lucky to have got Lok Sabha ticket, says Kalmadi
Pune: Suresh Kalmadi, the sulking city Congress MP refused renomination by the party for the taint stuck to him in the CWG scam, on Thursday described former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan as a "lucky man" to have been made a candidate despite figuring in the row over the Adarsh Housing society scam.
"He is a lucky man. What can I say?," he said sporting a wry smile.
Kalmadi, talking to reporters after casting his vote, was asked what he thought of Chavan`s nomination by Congress from Nanded Lok Sabha seat notwithstanding the corruption charges levelled against him in the Adarsh housing scam.
After making frantic but unsuccessful efforts to persuade the Congress high command to give the Pune Lok Sabha ticket to his wife as his own case had been weakened by the CWG scam, the suspended MP, who initially appeared rebellious and geared up to fight as an independent, finally announced his support to the party`s official nominee Vishwajeet Kadam for "ensuring development" of the city.
Kalmadi`s backing Kadam came after state Congress leaders` pleas to him to involve his large number of supporters in the campaigning and reported assurance of having his suspension revoked, party sources said.
In Pune, a traditional Congress bastion, Kadam, President of Maharashtra Youth Congress, is locked in a fight against BJP`s Anil Shirole, Subhash Ware of AAP and Deepak Paigude of MNS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?