Assam riots fall-out: Ten from Northeast attacked in Pune
Pune: 10 people from Northeastern states, most of them students, have been beaten up in separate incidents in the last three days in Kondhwa and Pune Camp areas of the city, police said on Tuesday.
11 persons have been arrested in two of these cases so far, police said, adding they suspect doctored MMS clips and text messages on recent ethnic riots in Assam may have played a role in provoking these incidents.
The police are now trying to find the masterminds of these attacks and ascertain how these videos were circulated. No connection between the suspects involved in these attacks and radical Islamist groups have been found yet, the police said.
Investigations so far seem to indicate those involved in the attacks since August 8 had seen doctored videos on the rioting in Assam, the police said.
"We have arrested 11 people in two attack cases. Two of the accused are still in police custody, while nine others were released on bail. We have registered complaints for rioting and voluntarily causing hurt," senior inspector Prasad Hasabnis of Kondhwa police station said.
Meanwhile, members of the Interim Forum, an organisation of students from Northeastern India, said the students will not leave Pune since the city police, religious representatives and the Maharashtra government have assured them of full support and protection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!