Assault on cop by MLAs: Chavan promises strictest action
Mumbai: Condemning the beating up of a police officer by some MLAs within the Assembly premises, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday said that based on the investigations into the incident strict action will be taken against those guilty.
Talking to reporters, the CM said that it was a "reprehensible" act which had never happened in the state legislature before and strictest action would be taken against the guilty.
About possible action against the guilty MLAs, he merely said that "criminal action and disciplinary action are two different things and will be known tomorrow".
He said that top cops of the state police met him to discuss the matter but did not divulge details of the meeting.
He, however, said that the concerned police officer has the right to file an FIR.
In democracy, there can be different points of view, but nobody has right to take law into their hands and resort to violence. A detailed enquiry is on and video footage is being examined, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference