Assaulted cop depose before Maharashtra House panel
Mumbai: A police officer, who was assaulted by some MLAs in the Maharashtra legislature complex on Monday deposed before a House committee constituted to probe the unsavoury incident.
Assistant Police Inspector Sachin Suryavanshi appeared before the seven-member panel headed by senior-most member of the state assembly Ganpatrao Deshmukh of Peasants and Workers Party.
Suryavanshi`s deposition lasted for about 90 minutes, assembly officials said.
However, what transpired during the deposition was not immediately known.
MLAs Kshitij Thakur of Bahujan Vikas Agadhi and Ram Kadam (MNS), who were arrested in connection with the assault on the officer, and security staff of the House will also appear before the committee, the officials said.
Suryavanshi, who was escorted to the House by personnel from the police department, did not respond to media queries while leaving the premises.
Buying peace with legislators who disrupted the proceedings of the two Houses of legislature, Home Minister RR Patil on March 25 had suspended Suryavanshi for "misbehaving" with Thakur and ordered constitution of a panel to go into the entire episode.
Suryavanshi, attached to the Worli police station, was thrashed by a group of MLAs outside the visitors gallery at the state`s legislature complex on March 19, a day after he had stopped Thakur`s vehicle on Bandra-Worli Sea Link for speeding and slapped a fine.
The House had later suspended five MLAs - Ram Kadam (MNS), Jaykumar Rawal (BJP), Kshitij Thakur (Bahujan Vikas Agadhi), Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena) and Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent) - for their alleged involvement in the assault.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?