Assaulted cop says he was never in Assembly gallery
Mumbai: The policeman assaulted by several legislators in Vidhan Bhawan premises, on Wednesday told Home Minister RR Patil that he was never in the visitor`s gallery of the Legislative Assembly, as claimed by the law makers.
"31-year-old Sachin Suryawanshi, who is undergoing treatment at the St George hospital in south Mumbai told this to Patil when he went there to enquire about his health," sources close to the Home Minister said.
"Suryawanshi told Patil that he had visited Vidhan Bhawan as per a directive from Council Deputy Chairman Vasant Davkhare, but did not enter the visitor`s gallery," they said.
The legislators, including Vasai MLA Kshitij Thakur and Ram Kadam (MNS), have based their "defence" on the policeman`s alleged "insulting gestures and words from the gallery," sources said.
"How can he gesture at them when he was not present in the gallery," they said.
The video footage available with Vidhan Bhawan authorities also substantiates Suryawanshi`s claims that he was not present in the gallery, sources said.
"Suryawanshi, in his statement to police, has said he was attacked by the legislators at around 12.30 pm yesterday after he had come out of Davkhare`s office on the first floor and was sitting on a bench, about to leave for the canteen," sources said.
The policeman has alleged that the legislators, notably, Kadam, threatened to kill him, they said.
Police have registered an FIR against Thakur, Kadam and "14-15 others wearing green and red badges," they said.
The members of Assembly wear green badges and Council members wear red badges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list