Assembly polls: Cong to start interviewing aspirants on Aug 17
Mumbai: Notwithstanding its wrangling with NCP over allocation of seats for the upcoming state Assembly elections, the Maharashtra unit of Congress will start conducting interviews of aspirants from Sunday as per the seat-sharing formula of 2009.
"The interviews will be conducted by the election committee headed by state unit chief Manikrao Thakre on August 17, 19 and 20," a Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) release said here today.
The interviews will be conducted for aspirants of 174 constituencies under the Congress quota, as per the 2009 formula.
Congress had contested 174 seats in 2009 while its alliance partner, NCP 114. Currently, both the parties have locked horns over the number of seats they want to contest in the upcoming elections, due in October, with the Sharad Pawar-led NCP raising its stake demanding equal number of seats to contest.
"After the seat-sharing talks with NCP are concluded, decision on other constituencies would be taken," the release added.
The election committee, announced yesterday, comprises chief minister Prithviraj Chavan, AICC general secretaries Mukul Wasnik and Gurudas Kamat, and former chief ministers Sushilkumar Shinde, Ashok Chavan and Narayan Rane, among other leaders.
The MPCC has asked the aspirants not to bring any recommendations supporting their candidature. "Only those aspirants who have submitted their forms before the stipulated time of August 11 will be called in for interviews," MPCC spokesman Sachin Sawant said.
To a question on the number of applications received, he said the compilation work was in progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins