Assembly polls: Cong to start interviewing aspirants on Aug 17
Mumbai: Notwithstanding its wrangling with NCP over allocation of seats for the upcoming state Assembly elections, the Maharashtra unit of Congress will start conducting interviews of aspirants from Sunday as per the seat-sharing formula of 2009.
"The interviews will be conducted by the election committee headed by state unit chief Manikrao Thakre on August 17, 19 and 20," a Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) release said here today.
The interviews will be conducted for aspirants of 174 constituencies under the Congress quota, as per the 2009 formula.
Congress had contested 174 seats in 2009 while its alliance partner, NCP 114. Currently, both the parties have locked horns over the number of seats they want to contest in the upcoming elections, due in October, with the Sharad Pawar-led NCP raising its stake demanding equal number of seats to contest.
"After the seat-sharing talks with NCP are concluded, decision on other constituencies would be taken," the release added.
The election committee, announced yesterday, comprises chief minister Prithviraj Chavan, AICC general secretaries Mukul Wasnik and Gurudas Kamat, and former chief ministers Sushilkumar Shinde, Ashok Chavan and Narayan Rane, among other leaders.
The MPCC has asked the aspirants not to bring any recommendations supporting their candidature. "Only those aspirants who have submitted their forms before the stipulated time of August 11 will be called in for interviews," MPCC spokesman Sachin Sawant said.
To a question on the number of applications received, he said the compilation work was in progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre