Assembly to debate irregularities in Maha Sadan construction
Mumbai: Stepping up its attack on PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal on alleged financial irregularities in construction of Maharashtra Sadan in Delhi, the Opposition in Maharashtra Assembly Monday demanded a discussion in the House which was accepted by the government.
Bhujbal, while making a personal clarification under rule 47 in the Lower House, said the state government had decided in 2006 and 2007 to appoint K S Chamankar as the developer for the project.
"He has given saleable area of 2,36,780 lakh sqft in return for construction work to the tune of Rs 100 crore, including construction of Maharashtra Sadan in Delhi, High Mount guest house in South Mumbai and RTO office and transit camp in Andheri," Bhujbal said.
He reiterated that there was no corruption and the government had nothing to do with who got the sub-contracts.
Bhujbal said the opposition was trying to malign him and the government by alleging a scam in the project.
Girish Bapat (BJP), Subhash Desai (Shiv Sena) and others demanded a detailed discussion on the issue.
When Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil stated that there can be no discussion after the minister makes a personal clarification, the Opposition members persisted with their demand saying the cost of Maharashtra Sadan construction had escalated from Rs 52 crore to Rs 152 crore. "The minister`s relatives were among the beneficiaries," they alleged.
The House had to be adjourned twice for 15 minutes each as the Opposition refused to allow transaction of further business. Later, Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse said a detailed discussion will allow the facts to come out.
Bhujbal said he was ready for a debate and reiterated that there was no corruption.
The Speaker said he would take a decision on the date and time of the debate tomorrow or on Wednesday, which is the last day of the ongoing monsoon session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened