Assets seizure: HC rejects pleas of Dawood`s mother, sister
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has turned down the pleas of fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim`s mother and sister against the proposed confiscation of their properties by the Centre.
A bench of justices Badar Durrez Ahmed and Siddharth Mridul dismissed the pleas of Dawood`s mother Amina Bi and sister Hasina Ibrahim Parker, upholding the single judge order and saying that they were duly served the notices for seizure of their properties in Mumbai under the Smugglers And Foreign Exchange Manipulators (Forfeiture Of Property) Act (SAFEMA).
The Act provides for forfeiture of "illegally acquired properties" of smugglers and foreign exchange manipulators and their kith and kin.
Referring to the SAFEMA provisions, the court said, "We are not even required to look into your plea as to whether the forfeiture notices were served on you or your lawyer...As the Appellate Tribunal (constituted for forfeited properties under the Act) has no power to review its order under the Act."
The court rejected the two women pleas that they were not duly served the forfeiture notices and so the subsequent proceedings to attach their properties were illegal and they should be given a fresh chance to challenge the forfeiture notices.
"They (documents) establish that you were duly served with the notices and did not challenge it within the prescribed period of 45 days (which can be extended by 15 more days under the Act)," the bench said.
Amina Bi and Hasina had challenged the forfeiture notices
saying the same were not duly served to them and so, the subsequent proceedings to attach their properties at Nagpada in south Mumbai be stayed. The plea, however, was rejected.
One of the forfeiture notices were issued under the SAFEMA on July 14, 1998.
Earlier, the court had refused to stay its single-judge bench order upholding the Centre`s decision to forfeit their properties.
The two women have a total of seven residential properties in their names. Of this, two are in the mother`s name and five are in the name of sister. The properties worth crores of rupees are allegedly acquired with Dawood`s ill-gotten wealth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in