At 47 degrees Celsius, Nagpur hottest in India
Nagpur: The orange city on Saturday recorded a maximum temperatures of 47 degrees Celsius, making it the hottest place in the country, an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said here on Sunday.
An intense heat wave has been sweeping over large parts of Maharashtra`s Vidarbha region even as early monsoon has arrived in Andaman and Nicobar isles, the official said.
While Nagpur notched a fiery 47 degrees Celsius, certain other regions including Wardha, Bhandara, Konkan and north Maharashtra recorded temperatures above 45 degrees Saturday, according to the official weather data.
Nagpur had ranked the hottest city in India at 46.7 degrees May 9. Barely 10 days later, the temperature rose to 47 degrees Celsius.
"The weather will continue to remain dry and heat wave conditions are likely to prevail over Vidarbha in the next 24 hours," said VK Rajeev, director of IMD`s Regional Meteorological Centre in Mumbai.
Other places which notched temperatures above 45 degrees Saturday included Akola and Chandrapur (both 45 degrees), Amravati and Wardha (both 46 degrees).
In the past fortnight or so, temperatures in parts of north Maharashtra, Marathwada and Vidarbha regions have remained high between 44-46 degrees.
On April 2, Chandrapur had recorded a staggering 47.6 degrees, the highest in the country, which remains unbeaten till date this year.
The only consolation has been isolated rains or thunder showers in some regions, offering temporary respite from the heat wave.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket