At least 50 villages marooned in Thane after heavy rains
Thane: Nearly 50 villages in the district have been cut-off from the tehsil headquarters and two bridges remained submerged as heavy rains continued to lash Thane Wednesday.
About 50 villages of Murbad and Palghar talukas have been marooned and the villagers are being shifted to safer places, disaster control room officer Jaideep Visave said.
The worst hit are areas of Palghar, Vasai, Dahanu and Vikramgadh, he said.
At Manor in Palghar taluka, nearly 24 people who were stranded in a flooded resort, situated near Vaitarna river, were rescued last evening, he said.
Because of the heavy downpour, the Maswan bridge on the Palghar-Manor road was submerged since the last two days.Also, the bridge between Murbad and Rahta remained submerged leading to closure of the Murbad road.
Villages around the area have been cut-off from the outside world, Visave said.
In western part of Thane`s Badlapur township, several houses were marooned and many people rendered homeless due to flooding, the official said.
Police and firemen rushed to Badlapur at around midnight last night and carried out rescue operations.
A teenaged boy had yesterday drowned in New Shivaji Nagar lake at Kalwa where he had gone for a swim along with his friends, a civic official had earlier said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25