Athawale demands creation of Vidarbha, vows protests
Aurangabad: With Congress and UPA on Tuesday giving a decisive push to creation of Telangana, RPI leader Ramdas Athawale has demanded carving out of Vidarbha state from Maharashtra and threatened to launch statewide protests.
"If the union government is declaring separate Telangana, it should also go for separate Vidharbha as the region`s development would get a fillip after its separation from Maharashtra," Athawale told reporters after a meeting with party workers here.
The Dalit leader`s demand is not in tune with its alliance partner Shiv Sena which is opposing creation of Vidarbha. Athawale`s party is the constituent of the Shiv Sena-led "Maha Yuti" (grand alliance) along with BJP.
Justifying his demand, Athawale said, "Vidarbha remained backward because union government was never inclined to develop the region".
He accused Congress-led UPA government of "cold-shouldering" aspirations of people of the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur