Athawale demands creation of Vidarbha, vows protests
Aurangabad: With Congress and UPA on Tuesday giving a decisive push to creation of Telangana, RPI leader Ramdas Athawale has demanded carving out of Vidarbha state from Maharashtra and threatened to launch statewide protests.
"If the union government is declaring separate Telangana, it should also go for separate Vidharbha as the region`s development would get a fillip after its separation from Maharashtra," Athawale told reporters after a meeting with party workers here.
The Dalit leader`s demand is not in tune with its alliance partner Shiv Sena which is opposing creation of Vidarbha. Athawale`s party is the constituent of the Shiv Sena-led "Maha Yuti" (grand alliance) along with BJP.
Justifying his demand, Athawale said, "Vidarbha remained backward because union government was never inclined to develop the region".
He accused Congress-led UPA government of "cold-shouldering" aspirations of people of the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire