Athawale thanks Centre for decision on Indu Mill land
Mumbai: Republican Party of India leader Ramdas Athawale on Wednesday welcomed the Centre`s announcement regarding handing over the India United (Indu) Mill land for the construction of a memorial of Babasaheb Ambedkar.
Reacting to Union Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma`s statement on the issue in Lok Sabha today, Athawale thanked the Centre and said, "The long pending demand of lakhs of followers of Ambedkar has been fulfilled."
The state government should now help expedite the process of actual transfer of the land, by April 14, a party spokesperson said, quoting Athawale.
Scores of Ambedkar followers are expected to gather here tomorrow, the death anniversary of the architect of the Constitution.
Earlier, Athawale had threatened to forcibly take over land at the defunct Mill, located near the Shivaji Park in central Mumbai, if the Centre did not announce handing over the mill land for construction of the memorial.
The agitation has been called off following today`s announcement in Lok Sabha, RPI said.
On Monday, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had met Sharma for the second time in the past week to finalise the modalities of land transfer from the National Textile Corporation that owns 12.5 acres of vacant land in the Indu Mill compound.
The textile ministry had set up a high-powered committee for the land transfer. After completion of some technicalities, the committee`s recommendations will be implemented, official sources said.
Chavan had appealed to the leaders of all parties not to use the memorial issue for political gains and desist from trying to take credit for it.
On December 6 last year, Dalit activists and monks led Ambedkar`s grandson Anandraj Ambedkar and RPI had forcibly entered the Indu Mill premises and erected a makeshift memorial. They vacated the premises after Chavan promised to take up the issue with the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack