ATM with Rs.7.60 lakh hijacked in Pune
Pune: Unidentified criminals decamped with an ATM of a public-sector bank with an estimated Rs.7.60 lakh in it, an official said Tuesday.
The incident occurred in a commercial-cum-residential complex, Plaza Building, in Purna Nagar in Chikhali area early Monday. The ATM belonged to the United Bank of India.
An estimated Rs.7,60,000 in cash in the ATM - which weighs at least 400 kg - has been listed as stolen, investigating officer B.D. Mohandhule said.
"The thieves first cut off the CCTV wires and alarm systems, and then the power supply lines to the ATM before decamping with it," Mohandhule told IANS, adding that there are still no leads to trace it out.
Given the bulk and weight of the ATM, he said it could be the handiwork of at least five people and a medium-sized tempo could have been used in transporting it.
This is the second incident of its kind in this Maharashtra city.
On Oct 28, 2009, an ATM weighing 350 kg and containing cash of around Rs.10,50,000 was stolen from the Kasarwadi area. The ATM, contracted to Union Bank of India, itself was worth Rs.300,000.
A top official with the international contracting company, Financial Software & Systems Pvt Ltd, which had installed the ATM stolen Monday, said this is the second instance of a stolen ATM complaint received by the company in the last five years.
"It is not an easy task to carry away an ATM," said Managed Services Centres head Manohar Bhoi, who is in-charge of all the ATM operations with different banks and financial institutions.
"However, this is happening in deserted areas of class-II cities and it is a matter of serious concern for us," he added.
On May 14, a 500-kg ATM of the United Bank of India was stolen from Allahabad, in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars