ATS arrests SIMI member in fake currency racket
Mumbai: Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad
(ATS) has arrested an alleged operative of SIMI and Indian
Mujahideen (IM) in a counterfeit currency racket, in which his
accomplice was rounded up earlier.
Asrar Ahmed Abdul Hamid Tailor alias Sagri (41), a
computer trainer who allegedly received terror training in
Pakistan, was nabbed yesterday from outside Borivili railway
station, ATS said today.
His associate Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik was
apprehended earlier this month. Both are active members of the
banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and Indian
Mujahideen (IM), which has claimed responsibility for some of
the terror attacks in the recent past, it said.
Asrar has confessed to having been involved in the
distribution of fake currency notes along with Haroon, to whom
he also gave computer training, ATS said.
Haroon had sent Asrar to Pakistan for terror training in
2000. Asrar had three criminal cases registered against him
since 2006, including one with ATS.
Seeking the remand of Asrar, ATS today told a local court
that he is a trusted confidant of some of the absconding
accused in the case being handled by it. The court remanded
Asrar in ATS custody till next week.
ATS sources said they might also question the duo
regarding the July 13 triple blasts in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA