ATS arrests SIMI member in fake currency racket
Mumbai: Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad
(ATS) has arrested an alleged operative of SIMI and Indian
Mujahideen (IM) in a counterfeit currency racket, in which his
accomplice was rounded up earlier.
Asrar Ahmed Abdul Hamid Tailor alias Sagri (41), a
computer trainer who allegedly received terror training in
Pakistan, was nabbed yesterday from outside Borivili railway
station, ATS said today.
His associate Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik was
apprehended earlier this month. Both are active members of the
banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and Indian
Mujahideen (IM), which has claimed responsibility for some of
the terror attacks in the recent past, it said.
Asrar has confessed to having been involved in the
distribution of fake currency notes along with Haroon, to whom
he also gave computer training, ATS said.
Haroon had sent Asrar to Pakistan for terror training in
2000. Asrar had three criminal cases registered against him
since 2006, including one with ATS.
Seeking the remand of Asrar, ATS today told a local court
that he is a trusted confidant of some of the absconding
accused in the case being handled by it. The court remanded
Asrar in ATS custody till next week.
ATS sources said they might also question the duo
regarding the July 13 triple blasts in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days