ATS arrests SIMI member in fake currency racket
Mumbai: Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad
(ATS) has arrested an alleged operative of SIMI and Indian
Mujahideen (IM) in a counterfeit currency racket, in which his
accomplice was rounded up earlier.
Asrar Ahmed Abdul Hamid Tailor alias Sagri (41), a
computer trainer who allegedly received terror training in
Pakistan, was nabbed yesterday from outside Borivili railway
station, ATS said today.
His associate Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik was
apprehended earlier this month. Both are active members of the
banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and Indian
Mujahideen (IM), which has claimed responsibility for some of
the terror attacks in the recent past, it said.
Asrar has confessed to having been involved in the
distribution of fake currency notes along with Haroon, to whom
he also gave computer training, ATS said.
Haroon had sent Asrar to Pakistan for terror training in
2000. Asrar had three criminal cases registered against him
since 2006, including one with ATS.
Seeking the remand of Asrar, ATS today told a local court
that he is a trusted confidant of some of the absconding
accused in the case being handled by it. The court remanded
Asrar in ATS custody till next week.
ATS sources said they might also question the duo
regarding the July 13 triple blasts in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof