ATS arrests Yasin Bhatkal in German Bakery blast case
Mumbai: The special MCOCA court here on Thursday allowed the state Anti Terrorism Squad to arrest Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal in Pune`s German Bakery blast case.
"The Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court has allowed the ATS to take Bhatkal to Pune; he will be procedurally arrested there and will be produced in the court there tomorrow," said Vinod More, his lawyer.
Meanwhile, the ATS arrested Bhatkal`s aide Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the 2012 Pune serial blasts. He was remanded in ATS custody till March 27.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) arrested Yasin Bhatkal (30), who is wanted in over 40 terror cases and Akhtar from the Indo-Nepal border in August last year.
Bhatkal, who hails from Bhatkal village of Udupi district in North Karnataka, is wanted for terror attacks in Ahmedabad, Surat, Bangalore, Pune, Delhi and Hyderabad.
The duo were first arrested in connection with the July 2011 Mumbai serial blasts which killed 31 and injured 141.
Seventeen people were killed and 64 injured in a powerful blast at German Bakery, a popular eatery in Koregoan Park area of Pune in February 2010.
On August 1, 2012, four co-ordinated low-intensity explosions took place along the busy Jungli Maharaj road in Pune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez