ATS sub-inspector among five held for duping man of Rs 62 lakh
Mumbai: Five persons, including a sub-inspector attached to the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS), were arrested for allegedly duping a senior citizen of Rs 62 lakh by promising a flat for his son under the "chief minister`s quota for the disabled", police said on Saturday.
The accused including the PSI, Dilip Bhosale allegedly promised the complainant Shetiar Irani (60), a resident of the suburban Andheri, that they will get a flat allotted to his son under the chief minister`s quota, police said.
Irani`s son has 70% disability.
The others are identified as Rajesh Upadhyaya, Sanjay Mehta, Jagjit Singh Asara and Anil Purohit, they said.
The FIR against the five persons was registered at the Meghwadi police station in suburban Jogeshwari yesterday following which the accused were apprehended from their respective houses.
According to police, Irani gave the accused Rs 45 lakh in cash and demand drafts of Rs 17 lakh towards purchase of the flat and in return was given some documents which later proved to be forged.
Police said when Irani insisted on possession of the flat, the accused asked Irani for more money and when he refused to pay they threatened to kill him.
The complainant realised that he was conned when he approached the District Collector`s office over the delay in getting possession of the promised flat.
The staff there told Irani that there was no such scheme as claimed by the accused and the documents in possession of Irani were not issued by them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected