ATS sub-inspector among five held for duping man of Rs 62 lakh
Mumbai: Five persons, including a sub-inspector attached to the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS), were arrested for allegedly duping a senior citizen of Rs 62 lakh by promising a flat for his son under the "chief minister`s quota for the disabled", police said on Saturday.
The accused including the PSI, Dilip Bhosale allegedly promised the complainant Shetiar Irani (60), a resident of the suburban Andheri, that they will get a flat allotted to his son under the chief minister`s quota, police said.
Irani`s son has 70% disability.
The others are identified as Rajesh Upadhyaya, Sanjay Mehta, Jagjit Singh Asara and Anil Purohit, they said.
The FIR against the five persons was registered at the Meghwadi police station in suburban Jogeshwari yesterday following which the accused were apprehended from their respective houses.
According to police, Irani gave the accused Rs 45 lakh in cash and demand drafts of Rs 17 lakh towards purchase of the flat and in return was given some documents which later proved to be forged.
Police said when Irani insisted on possession of the flat, the accused asked Irani for more money and when he refused to pay they threatened to kill him.
The complainant realised that he was conned when he approached the District Collector`s office over the delay in getting possession of the promised flat.
The staff there told Irani that there was no such scheme as claimed by the accused and the documents in possession of Irani were not issued by them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend