ATS to file chargesheet in ONGC terror plot case next week
Mumbai: A chargesheet will be filed next
week against two arrested terror suspects and their handler in
Pakistan, who allegedly plotted strikes at ONGC headquarters
and two markets here, Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS)
On March 13, the ATS had arrested Abdul Latif alias Guddu
(29) and Riyaz Ali alias Rehan (23) from near Matunga railway
station in Central Mumbai.
"Final touch is being given to chargesheet. In certain
areas, we needed permission from Home Department which has
been granted. The chargesheet would be filed next week against
the two arrested accused and their handler in Pakistan," a
senior ATS official said on condition of anonymity.
The duo had allegedly conducted recce of three targets -
headquarters of public sector Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
(ONCG), Thakkar Mall and Malgaldas Market in the city - and
were planning to carry out attacks which included sabotage and
setting them on fire, they said.
They used to receive instructions from a person in
Karachi whom they referred as `Uncle`, the ATS said.
The `Uncle` could be Bashi Khan, an aide of Tiger Memon
who is closely associated with underworld fugitive Dawood
Ibrahim and is one of the masterminds of the 1993 blasts.
Khan is accused of having transported explosives to
Mumbai prior to the serial blasts, the ATS added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway