Attacked RTI activist hospitalised with head injuries
Yavatmal: A 20-year-old youth attacked and injured local social worker and RTI activist Digambar Pajgade (52), a resident of local Jamankar Nagar on Tuesday morning, with a lethal weapon.
Passersby rushed Pajgade to the Government Medical College where he was admitted to the emergency ward after the attacker inflicted deep wound to his head.
The attacker, Mayur Vadafale, a resident of Wagapur village, fled the spot after throwing his sharp-edged weapon on the roadside, which the police retrieved.
Pajgade`s wife Vandana (47) has lodged a complaint at the Wadgaon Road police station and the police registered a criminal offence under Section 394 of Indian Penal Code (IPC). A manhunt has been launched for the alleged attacker.
According to Vandana`s complaint, she and husband Digambar Pajgade were on their bike heading towards the market, when Mayur, the alleged attacker intercepted the bike.
As soon as the couple got down from the bike, Mayur allegedly attacked Digambar with a sharp knife (sathur), inflicting a deep wound on his head. Allegedly, Mayur also snatched away Vandana`s gold necklace and and cash worth Rs 5000`, before he fled the spot.
Police sub-inspector Naresh Randir said that old rivalry is believed to be the motive for the attack.
Pajgade is known for his RTI activities and had filed a number of criminal cases in various courts against bigwigs involved in land scams and misappropriation of MP`s local development funds.
It may be recalled that Digambar Pajgade had recently lodged a complaint with Superintendent of Police Ranjan Kumar Sharma about an impending threat to his life and also sought police protection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof