Auction of offerings to Shirdi Saibaba from Oct 18
Shirdi: Precious items offered by devotees at the Saibaba temple here will be put on auction this week. These include gold and silver crowns, statuettes, garlands, `padukas` (sandals), necklaces, diamonds and precious stones.
Saibaba, Maharashtra`s most famous saint, lived and preached in this small town in Ahmednagar district over a century ago.
The auction -- the third in the last 10 years -- will include 32-kg silver offerings, 18-kg gold offerings, 52 precious stones and articles studded with them, a Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust (SSST) spokesperson said.
The auction`s first phase will start Oct 18 (Thursday).
The auction will continue for two more Thursdays next month.
This is the first auction of the temple riches after a committee appointed by the Bombay High Court took over the SSST management in March.
"Instead of melting the gold and silver, we have found that devotees prefer to buy these items and own them," an SSST official, who did not want to be named, said.
Keeping in mind devotees` sentiments, the auction is being held before Dussehra and Diwali to enable them buy and take home the offering made to Saibaba, the official said.
The first auction will be for silver items, the second for gold (Nov 1) and third for precious stones (Nov 8).
To keep out frivolous bidders, the SSST will ask bidders to deposit a refundable amount of Rs.10,000. Successful bidders will be been given multiple payment options.
The official said all the items have been tested and certified and the quality of the goods was as per lab standards.
Revered by millions worldwide, Saibaba lived in and around Shirdi in Ahmednagar district. He died Oct 15 in 1918.
The SSST, counted among the richest temple trusts in the country, has assets worth above Rs.20 billion, besides daily donations and offerings running up to Rs.12.50 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda