Aurangabad arms haul case accused released from jail on bail
Mumbai: Seven years after his incarceration in the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case, Javed Ahmed Abdul Majid was on Tuesday released from Arthur Road Central prison here after Bombay High Court granted him bail.
Javed is the first among the 21 accused to be released on bail in this case.
Soon after his release, Javed went to the office of Jamiat-Ulama-e-Maharashtra (Arshad Madani), an NGO which had provided him free legal aid.
Justice Abhay Thipsay of the Bombay High Court had granted bail to Javed on October 18 on a surety of Rs 50,000 and asked him to attend the ongoing trial in a Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) Court.
Javed has been warned not to contact any witness in the case and also asked not to tamper with witnesses or impede the trial.
According to the prosecution, Javed had allegedly helped co-accused in parking the vehicles which were carrying the arms and ammunition. He was accused of conspiracy.
In May 2006, the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) booked 21 persons, including Abu Jundal, under stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), for carrying huge quantity of explosives and arms.
Even Jundal had urged for bail in this case on the ground of parity but the trial court rejected his plea yesterday saying there was a prima facie case against him.
The ATS claimed to have seized 43kg of RDX, 50 hand grenades, 16 AK-47 rifles and over 3,000 live bullets from two cars on the Chandaud-Manmad Highway in Aurangabad on May 8, 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch