Auto driver gets life imprisonment for burning cop alive
Thane: An auto driver from Vasai in Thane district who was found guilty of burning a police head constable alive has been sentenced to life imprisonment by the Vasai Sessions Court.
Sessions Judge RM Joshi awarded life sentence to auto driver Mahendra Kevat after the prosecution built a strong case.
Kevat (21) allegedly doused a head constable Anil Aitiwadekar (42) with petrol on October 27, 2010 and set him ablaze near Navghar bus stop at Vasai, after the cop fined him for not possessing legal documents.
The head constable who was a diabetic, had not been responding to medical treatment over the past few days. He died at 6 am at Masina Hospital in Byculla, where he had been shifted from Vasai for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert