Auto driver gets life imprisonment for burning cop alive
Thane: An auto driver from Vasai in Thane district who was found guilty of burning a police head constable alive has been sentenced to life imprisonment by the Vasai Sessions Court.
Sessions Judge RM Joshi awarded life sentence to auto driver Mahendra Kevat after the prosecution built a strong case.
Kevat (21) allegedly doused a head constable Anil Aitiwadekar (42) with petrol on October 27, 2010 and set him ablaze near Navghar bus stop at Vasai, after the cop fined him for not possessing legal documents.
The head constable who was a diabetic, had not been responding to medical treatment over the past few days. He died at 6 am at Masina Hospital in Byculla, where he had been shifted from Vasai for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview