Auto driver gets life imprisonment for burning cop alive
Thane: An auto driver from Vasai in Thane district who was found guilty of burning a police head constable alive has been sentenced to life imprisonment by the Vasai Sessions Court.
Sessions Judge RM Joshi awarded life sentence to auto driver Mahendra Kevat after the prosecution built a strong case.
Kevat (21) allegedly doused a head constable Anil Aitiwadekar (42) with petrol on October 27, 2010 and set him ablaze near Navghar bus stop at Vasai, after the cop fined him for not possessing legal documents.
The head constable who was a diabetic, had not been responding to medical treatment over the past few days. He died at 6 am at Masina Hospital in Byculla, where he had been shifted from Vasai for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets