Avoid deputing escort police for VIP security: Bombay HC
Mumbai: Dealing with a PIL on undertrials languishing in courts, the Bombay High Court on Friday observed that authorities should avoid diverting the police force meant for escorting prisoners to courts for security of VIPs.
One of the contentions raised during the hearing of the PIL was that undertrials are not taken to courts for scheduled hearings, because often there are not enough policemen to escort them.
During the hearing today, senior counsel SR Chitnis pointed out that many times the policemen on the "escort" duty are deputed to provide security to VIPs.
Taking note of this, division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and VK Tahilramani observed in the order that "...policemen are deputed for VIP security which results in inadequate staff being available for escorting the prisoners to the court."
"Such situation should be avoided," the court said, adding that "production of prisoners (before courts) is a prime obligation."
Gandhi`s PIL was about large number of prisoners who are languishing in prisons as their trials are pending.
High Court had passed various orders in this PIL earlier, but today, disposing it of, court observed that under "national mission for judicial delivery and reforms," steps are being taken to dispose of cases speedily.
In accordance with the national mission for judicial
delivery, special sitting of courts were held on January 26
this year, and 464 undertrials were released on bail across
the state, and in Goa.
These prisoners are mainly charged with petty,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof