Azad Maidan mayhem: 19 more rioters arrested
Mumbai: As many as 19 more alleged rioters have been arrested in connection with the Azad Maidan violence here, taking the total number of arrests in the case so far to 43, police said on Wednesday.
The 19 people have been arrested since last evening from various parts of the city, police said adding that two of them, identified as Niyazuddin Shaikh (28) and Mohammed Hussain Ansari (21), were produced before a metropolitan magistrate court which remanded them in police custody till August 28.
"We have the CCTV footage in which the two were shown rioting along with the mob that indulged in destruction of property," police told the court.
The remaining 17 will be produced before the court tomorrow.
The 19 rioters were involved in various violent acts like pelting stones, torching the vehicles and beating policemen, they said adding that seven or eight of them were suspected to have a criminal background.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, injured on August 11 when a rally called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent.
The protesters went on a rampage, attacking the police, including some women constables, torching media and police vehicles, smashing cameras of photo journalists and damaging buses.
A day after the riots, police had arrested 23 people in connection with the incident. Subsequently on Thursday, Salim Allarakha Choukiya alias Ali (23), who had snatched a rifle from the police during the riots, had been arrested from Anand nagar area of suburban Oshiwara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!