Azad Maidan mayhem: Police custody extended of 23
Mumbai: The Esplanade metropolitan magistrate court today extended the crime branch custody of 23 persons arrested in connection with the violence near Azad Maidan on August 11 in which two youths were killed and 55 injured.
The court remanded them to police custody till August 24.
The Mumbai crime branch told the court that they want to find the other people involved in the violence and only those arrested can identify them.
Police said they want to know the "intention and the motive" behind the violence and added that the custody was required as they are yet to recover one pistol and 50 rounds of ammunition.
However, the defence lawyers said police custody was not necessary for interrogation and they may be remanded to judicial custody.
On August 16, police had also arrested a youth, identified as Salim Allarakha Choukiya alias Ali (23), after a video clip showed him brandishing a police self loading rifle (SLR) during the violent protests.
Two SLRs, 150 rounds of ammunition and a service pistol of a police inspector had been looted by the mob. Police later recovered the two SLRs and 29 rounds of ammunition.
Since hammers, knives, and empty cans, said to be used to carry kerosene, and a pistol that did not belong to police were seized from the spot after the mayhem, police suspect the violence was pre-planned.
It is also being probed if the death of two people during the hooliganism was caused due to firing by the violent mob.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, injured when a rally called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent near Azad Maidan in Mumbai on August 11.
The protesters went on a rampage, attacking the police, including some women constables, torching media and police vehicles, smashing cameras of photo journalists and damaging buses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India