Azad Maidan violence: 57 charged with murder
Mumbai: Murder charges have been reportedly retained against the 57 protestors involved in the Azad Maidan violence on August 11 in the chargesheet filed by Mumbai police on Friday.
Mumbai police decided not to drop the murder charges in its 3,384 page chargesheet after the postmortem report of the victims stated that they suffered from bullet injuries, as per reports.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, injured on August 11 when a rally called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent. The protesters went on a rampage, attacking police, media persons and vehicles.
A sessions court on Tuesday granted bail to 14 accused in custody for their alleged role in the Azad Maidan violence on August 11.
The court had last week granted similar relief to 14 accused while the Bombay High Court gave bail to four accused in this connection.
Five of the 63 persons were earlier discharged after police found that there was no case against them.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery