Azad Maidan violence: 57 charged with murder
Mumbai: Murder charges have been reportedly retained against the 57 protestors involved in the Azad Maidan violence on August 11 in the chargesheet filed by Mumbai police on Friday.
Mumbai police decided not to drop the murder charges in its 3,384 page chargesheet after the postmortem report of the victims stated that they suffered from bullet injuries, as per reports.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, injured on August 11 when a rally called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent. The protesters went on a rampage, attacking police, media persons and vehicles.
A sessions court on Tuesday granted bail to 14 accused in custody for their alleged role in the Azad Maidan violence on August 11.
The court had last week granted similar relief to 14 accused while the Bombay High Court gave bail to four accused in this connection.
Five of the 63 persons were earlier discharged after police found that there was no case against them.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family