Azad Maidan violence: Court rejects bail to 2 accused
Mumbai: A local court on Monday rejected the bail applications of two accused in custody for their alleged role in riots at Azad Maidan on August 11.
Magistrate PS Rathod declined to grant the relief to Salim Chaukia and Faisal Hussain who are accused of snatching a gun from police and torching a media van respectively when the mob, attending the rally in South Mumbai to condemn alleged attacks on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar, turned violent.
A sessions court had last week granted bail to 14 accused who were arrested for their alleged role in the riots.
Five of the 63 persons were earlier discharged after police found that there was no case against them.
Two youths were killed and 52 people, including 44 policemen, injured on August 11 when the protesters attending the rally went on the rampage, attacking police, media persons and torching vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!