Azad Maidan violence: HC grants bail to three accused
Mumbai: Observing that prima facie no case of murder and attempt to murder is made out against the arrested accused in the Azad Maidan riots, the Bombay High Court on Tuesday granted bail to three accused.
Amin Chaudhary, Umair Rehman Ansari and Nazar Siddiqui, who suffered a bullet injury in his head in the violence, have been granted bail on a surety of Rs 30,000 each.
"Though the case relates to riots and huge destruction of public property, there is not sufficient basis to make out an offence under sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder)," Justice A M Thipsay said.
This is the first time that the accused have been granted bail in the riots case. A total of 63 persons were arrested by the city crime branch for their alleged role in the riots at Azad Maidan in south Mumbai on August 11.
Five of the 63 persons were earlier discharged after police found that there was no case against them.
The court, while granting them bail observed that the trio had been in custody since August and their custody was not required.
The bail application of another accused - Akbar Raunak Khan - will be heard on October 25.
All the three accused in their bail plea had said that they were not a part of the mob at Azad Maidan and were just passersby.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, injured on August 11 when a rally called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent. The protesters went on a rampage, attacking police, media persons and vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- India tour of West Indies 2016: It was a complete performance, says Virat Kohli after comprehensive win
- Vietnam warns South China Sea is a `test` of ASEAN
- China telecom giant Huawei first half revenue up 40%
- Iulia Vantur celebrated her birthday with this Bollywood celebrity – Pics inside
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016